Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Making Sense.

Sometimes, as I go over old drafts and polish them up to my current writing style, I find gems such as this:

"He had sprung from his bed, grabbed his blade gone to where it had come form."

Where not only is the writing surrounding it terrible, but it in itself does not actually make any sense whatsoever. That was from book 2. Other jewels of horrible include:

"There was a brief silence before the wooden gates were heaved inward in much protest as they departed from one another. And that was all. "

And, my favorite because it is SO terrible, from Draft 1 of Book 1:

"A narrow yet used dusty street. "

Yeah. That's the complete sentence.


EDIT: Found another LOVELY one just now:

"He cut himself up and jerked his gaze to the Messenger."

My gosh, Lonlor, that sounds painful. Quick, hide the razor blades everyone, we've got a real emo on our hands.

EDIT 2 (4/20/2011):

"D'hiren watched in complete silence as Lonlor took a dew steps backwards until his back hit the oppisite wall."


I don't even...just...no. NO.

EDIT 3 (4/21/2011)

"Lonlor stood on a snow-covered hill that overlooked an untouched Anden spread out and huddled below him."

It is spread out... yet HUDDLED. Yes.

My gosh I'm just going to make this a log of all the mistakes I find. WOO.



Do you guys have anything remarkably close to this that you groan when you go over a while later? Better yet, can you come up with what you'd consider a terrible sentence?

Off to more editing, where I'm sure there will be more awkwardness aplenty. And yeah, I'm totally listening to Katy Perry as I trudge through this draft.

Don't judge me!

7 comments:

  1. Please. Do not ask these sorts of questions. This makes me want to go through Ripper/everything I've ever written to find stuff. Because I'm sure I have JEWELS like this that are just WAITING to be laughed at. BUT I CAN'T BECAUSE I HAVE FOUR PAPERS TO WRITE ASAP. LALKKDKDJFLKAF

    STOP TEMPTING ME.

    ....I shall show you stuff LATER. <3

    Also- emo lonlor.....I laugh. A lot. XD

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, I really want you to trudge through said draft as well. DO ITTTTTTTT. Once school ends, of course. Three more weeks, YAY! :D

    Dude, right? Ahh Lonlor. Poor guy

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL omg, these are priceless. I'm actually terrified to go through Fairytale now. hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha! Don't fight the horrible, Linds! Simply find it, laugh at it, and then fix it like the WORLD IS ENDING.


    That is my method :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just laughed and almost choked on my licorice. Just by sharing some snippets of CatC on LJ I've found some "jewels" in grammar.... as well as special visualization, ahaha. I'm sure some of my other stories are worse... like Silverlode. Oh man.

    FIRST AID KIT PLZ.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hhaha, glad it gave you a chuckle :)

    DO IT.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I AM SO GLAD YOU'RE LISTENING TO KATY PERRY! WE HAVE BECOME INSANE. HAHAHA. I blame myself...

    I LOVE these sentences as well as "another horrible gem" LOL. Omg, I think I have too many of those kind of sentences to count. I think many would be in my oldest typed story, but LORD, there are probably so many in my first Minions draft. WHO KNOWS. Regardless, I FULLY support this becoming a log of bad lines. Let it grow! lol

    ReplyDelete