Thursday, March 31, 2011

Prompts.

I've been writing a lot of SoF lately, so I wanted to do something different. I think it's important to switch it up now and then with writing. I searched for some prompts, and came up with "Flourish of hate". It seems different enough, so I ran with it; featuring Cindy from Crossfire!

Do any of you guys have any prompt ideas? I'd love to try them out!



There were two things that I had never felt before.

Two very important things, both interlinked by their intensity, woven into each other like needle and thread. These two things were as important as life to many and were nothing to a very few, and even those few were lying. I knew they were lying now, as I stood and stared, and I knew that as soon as one of them clicked into place, the other would be out of my grasp for forever.

You could not hold all the cards and still sit at the table.

I had never been skilled at bluffing, and I refused to let this be any exception. I had not been told by a kind parent or a loving mentor that either of these things were dangerous, that either of them were binding. That if you put your hands into the shallows it would envelope you, suck in you in and never let you go as if it were tar. It would stain your skin and rip whatever was left of you out through your pores until you were convinced that you could never feel more alive, never feel more invigorated then you did at that moment. It would throb and ache and shoot ice through your veins that was melted by fire shortly afterwards, singing everything else that you thought you held. Your fingers would be raw and bleeding after you touched it, and once you invited it in, once it slunk lovers hands over you, you could never go back.

It would take a part of you you could never replace, and it would own that piece until you died. Until your last breath scattered through your body, it would have you.

I would like to say that I fought, that I struck out against it before it could claim me. I wish that I could write this to you and tell you of my struggle, of how it clawed at my throat and I pried it away from my skin before the claws sank too deep.

But I can not.

It slunk up to me and I threw open my arms and invited it in. I wrapped it around me like a second skin, as if it clothed me and I were naked without it. I let it choke every breath out of me that I had, let it rip my veins and replace it with its own pounding venom until it escalated in my ears and thrummed its touch across every part of me.

Never had I felt more alive, and as I stared across the room at the woman on the opposite side of the table, it was through new eyes. Everything had been repainted in aggressive shades of crimson, and I let it curl my lips into a snarl, I let it lower my brows over my eyes and coil my body into tension that could only be released by a series of three words- three words that were representations of one of the two things I had never felt. Three words that were equally important to another set.

“I hate you,” I whispered, and watched as the ripples from my body plunging into the thick feeling boiled to a stand still and the identification was complete.

And with a flourish of hate, I leaned back in my chair against my bound hands clasped behind me and smiled.

2 comments:

  1. It's so awesome to see some writing from Crossfire!! I am so interested in this story, then again I'm interested in ALL your stories!! *cough Birds of a Feather cough Coe's Story cough NFL cough*

    For prompts for writing... hmmm... All I can think of is just one word themes like that old 100 theme challenge thing.

    But actually, here's the thing I mentioned a while ago that my old classmate posted on FB. They're interesting writing prompts. Simple, but hey, they're still good stuff though. Hope they give you some ideas! :)

    Writing Prompt #1: Villains!

    This is an exercise in evil character formation. Why is this character evil, what's the goal, how does it end? Does the villain accomplish the goal or do the good guys finally get the best of him/her/it? Flesh out the guy whose job is to make us cringe and cling to our morals. Here are the rules:

    Word Limit: 1000 words

    Do's: Be evil! (No ambiguity allowed!)

    Do Not's: Cannot be blood-related to the good guy.

    Cannot be bent on world domination/destruction.

    As stated previously, cannot have any ambiguity. He/she/it must be completely evil.


    Writing Prompt #2: Artificial Life

    An exercise in giving life to that which never lived. Create a character that was never alive to begin with. We're talking about objects here; spoons, two-by-fours, computers even. Build a robot, a scarecrow, a character that is not nor has ever been alive. But now they are. =) You can even try characterizing sound or music. Flesh out an idea or philosophy and show us how it lives. You are giving life to something we don't normally consider living. Good luck!

    Word Limit: 1000 words

    Do's: Characters only.

    Do Not's: You cannot make a character that was alive at any point in time or history. Meaning, no warforged, zombies, or vampires. No plants, bacteria, fossils, anything on the cellular level. Nanites (sp?) are okay, but not recommended. No animals or skeletons (because they were once living). No elves or dragons, I know they never really existed but following protocol in the writing realm, they are indeed living.


    Writing Prompt #3: Change of Heart

    Write a story in which a character goes from one line of thought and action to another. It is important to illustrate why the change happened. Was it momentous epiphany or a lifetime in the making?Here are some ideas to help you get started:

    Did he start out bad but let someone get close, who showed him morality and he chose to walk a path to enlightenment? Or did he start out innocent but a single moment in history blackened his soul in a single twist? Did he grow up in a broken home that slowly hardened his heart? Or did she go on a murderous rampage that was caused by a single tumor?

    Word Limit: 2000 words

    Do's: Anything goes.

    Do Not's: Don't do it in a paragraph. Draw it out and draw us in. You have more words to work with on this one. It should actually be a fully-fledged story. I expect people to go over the limit. If you're horribly under the limit, scrap it or flesh it out more. This is supposed to be LONG.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks hun, those are good prompts! :)

    ReplyDelete